ENHANCED DBS CHECK SERVICE
Do you need to use Norma Lewis Nannies’ Enhanced DBS Check service?
Does your employee need an enhanced DBS check?
Leading London Nanny Agency Norma Lewis Nannies believes that Families who employ a person to look after their children, home, or an elderly relative, should protect the safety of those people by knowing that person holds a current enhanced DBS check, together with a status update certificate.
Subsequently to launching this Enhanced DBS Check service, Norma Lewis Nannies has been approached by various people to help them obtain an Enhanced DBS Check – Housekeepers, Tutors, Youth Clubs Workers, Personal Trainers working with Children, Carers …. all wish to show a potential employer that they have no criminal record, are not on any list barring them from working with children or adults at risk, and are entirely trustworthy.
However, they all find that it is not possible to apply for an enhanced DBS check themselves as it is only possible for a registered agency, and so they turn to Norma Lewis’ Enhanced DBS Check Service for help.
Is a police check the same thing as a DBS check?
In a word, no! Actually, the term “police check” is now obsolete in the UK, and has been replaced with “Disclosure”.
What does a disclosure show?
The Disclosure service provides access to a range of different types of information, such as that:
• held on the Police National Computer (PNC) – convictions, cautions, reprimands and warnings in England, Wales and those recorded from Scotland and Northern Ireland.
• held by local police forces relating to non-conviction information
• from the Government’s protection of Children Act List (POCA) i.e. showing whether the person is on the list barring them from working with children
• from the Government’s Protection of Vulnerable Adults List (POVA) i.e. showing whether the person is on the list barring them from working with vulnerable adults
• held by the Department for Education and Skills (DfES) under Section 142 of the Education Act 2002. (Formerly known as List 99)
So why can’t you send off for an enhanced DBS check for your potential future employee for yourself?
As a private individual, you can have access to a certain level of information, but under the Rehabilitation of offenders Act 1974, you cannot be given any information about any person’s spent and unspent convictions, as the Act says that:
• An individual has the right not to disclose these details.
• You do not have the right to ask the “exempted questions” regarding spent and unspent convictions.
• Neither can the applicant legally apply for themselves. (Section 56 of the Data Protection Act 1998)
However, those who work with children and with vulnerable adults are amongst those considered exempt from this Act, and the information concerning spent and unspent convictions would be shown on an enhanced disclosure.
Some employers are left in the position of being unable to apply for an enhanced DBS check for their potential employees… and so use Norma Lewis Nannies’ Enhanced DBS Check Service.
1.It is important to realise that the potential Nanny / Employee must still give permission to have the results of their enhanced disclosure passed on.
This is not automatic, and the person has the right to refuse.
2. Additionally, as soon as the Enhanced DBS Check comes through, the Nanny / potential employee should then register for the Status update available for their DBS. This needs to be done within 30 days of the issue date of the Enhanced DBS Check.
N.B. WITHOUT THIS STATUS UPDATE CERTIFICATE, THE ENHANCED DBS CHECK ONLY A SNAPSHOT IN TIME, AND YOU WOULD HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING IF SOMETHING UNTOWARD HAS HAPPENED SINCE THE DATE OF ITS ISSUE.
Your Nanny / Employee will never again need to apply using the Enhanced DBS Check Service, providing that:
– The status update certificate is renewed annually
– You / they stay within the same field of work
– There has been no amendment to their Police record
3.If you / the potential employee is either Ofsted Registered, or planning to become Ofsted registered , an Enhanced DBS Check together with Status Update is a normal part of the Ofsted Registration process.
If you would like to use the Enhanced DBS Check application service, and hold a current passport, (either from the UK or your own country), plus 2 proofs of address dated within the last 3 months, please use this booking form: http://www.normalewistraining.co.uk/course-forms/enhanced-dbs/
If you don’t have a current passport, please call Norma Lewis on 07956 894589, or email email@example.com and we can discuss alternative options.
Fees: Agency Fee £25 (+ £56 cost of enhanced DBS check)